- not knowing the existing values of the people in the organization, and hence the resources already available and the gaps that need to be closed
- not ensuring that individuals know their own values, as this is the only way they can commit to the organisation's values
- not realising that it is value priorities, not just values, that drive decision making and behaviour
- not having a methodical way of identifying the value gaps that can render values programmes ineffective
- not understanding the close relationship between values and skills, and so failing to provide staff with the development necessary to embody the values
- not ensuring that senior leaders make the personal shifts necessary to be able to walk the talk of the espoused values
- not aligning values, culture, structures, processes and behaviours.
And if you're in a leadership role, contact me to explore your own value priorities and how to use these to support you in being an effective and successful leader.