The book is based on the premise that your first 100 days in a new role is critical - and that there are things you can do to increase the likelihood of making a successful transition into your new role.
The book is straightforward and pragmatic, providing a structured approach to navigating the first 100 days - focusing on 3 phases:
- Preparation: let go of your previous role; plan how you will resource yourself; identify the transition challenges you face; see the whole system in which you will be operating; be clear about what you want to have achieved at the end of your first 2 years; and
- Create a First 100 Days plan using the whole system approach outlined in the daigram above
- Start the job: ensure you show up as a leader, not a manager; finalise your First 100 Days plan based on your initial period in the role; launch the First 100 Days plan and vision; and use who you are to create impact and mobilise others
- At day 30: review progress and if necessary adjust the plan; decide what and who really matters in the the organisation; focus on building a high-performing team; and invest in your internal and external networks
- At day 60: again review progress and if necessary adjust the plan; decide who stays and who goes in your team; ensure that how you are acting is creating a positive resonance in your team and that they are working hard to support you; and keep your energy and focus up
- At Day 90: review progress against the plan identify and write a 10-day To-Do list of what needs to be done to bring the First 100 Days to a successful close; get feedback and a reality check; reflect on how you've done; and learn from your mistakes
- At Day 100: communicate your successes to stakeholders; celebrate with your team; consider what you're going to have achieved by the end of your first 12 months; and create a resurgence of effort and activity to carry you though the next 9 months.